Maybe you’ve already heard about Ikigai. It’s been popping up, well, everywhere… And there’s a good reason for that! Finding your Ikigai will improve your life big time. In this blogpost I will get into what Ikigai is and how you can achieve it.
What is Ikigai?
Ikigai is the “sweet spot” between what you love, what you’re good at, what the world needs and what you can get paid for. It’s described as the reason you get out of bed in the morning. The reason for your being. In other words: your purpose.
If you don’t live your live according to this concept, it can lead to an unfulfilled feeling and even depression. Because if this is not what you’re doing, it’s not what you’re supposed to be doing in life.
People who live according to their Ikigai actually live longer. It’s the key to living a long, healthy and happy life. Maybe you’ve heard of Blue Zones? These are places on earth where there are the most people who are a hundred years old or even older than that. Here’s a very interesting Ted talk on this topic. It’s actually where I first came across the concept of Ikigai.
Is what I am doing right now my Ikigai?
You can find out if what you’re focused on right now is “it”. Take some time to soulsearch and answer these questions:
- Are you enjoying it? Do you love what you do? If not, what do you think you need to change to start liking it better?
- Are you good at it? Are you a natural at it? Or a skill you learned pretty quickly? Something you are or can be an expert in?
- Does it add value to other people’s lives or does it make the world better in any way? Is what you’re doing helpful or is there a way you could help people with it?
- Are you making money from it? If not, is there a way you can start making money from it?
Read more about this topic
If you’d like to read more about Ikigai, I recommend you read this book* on it. It’s a very interesting read!
Have you already found your Ikigai? Please share in the comments! If not, you can find a blogpost on finding your purpose in life on my blog here. Hopefully that will help you in the right direction!
With much love,
* this is an affliate link. If you choose to buy this book through this link, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. By choosing to do so, you help support me to keep creating content for this blog. Thank you!